tlug: X and fonts

As you people know, I'm new to Linux (indeed any non-MS O/S) and well,
my fonts are really ugly. I've got RH 5.1, and the default fonts under
Netscape are Adobe XYZ and indescribably inferior to those in Windows.
Is this the wonder of Apple's TT font technology?

Anyway, I'm trying to learn so much I don't have time to worry about
fonts at present. Could someone give me a quick pointer how to improve
the fonts / where to get them / what config files to amend?

Cheers,

Neil.

Pile up the benefits that accrue from studying
by the light of fireflies reflected on the snow...