Re: tlug: Use .htaccess, or ?

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> I need some opinions/advice on setting up controlled access to part of a web
> site.
>
> I'm developing a web site which will be mostly public, but one part will be
> accessible only to members of the organization, and at this point it looks
> like they will probably all be sharing one userid and password (yes, I know
> exactly how secure this isn't, but it wasn't my idea :-(    ).   This site
> will be running on a virtual server under Apache.   Is this best handled by
> using .htaccess, or should it be done through a CGI, or is there some other,
> better way to handle it?
>
> If .htaccess is the way to go, would this be all I needed to put in it:
>
> AuthName If you get this wrong, your computer will explode
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile .htpasswd               # Where should I put this file
>                                      # on a system with a bunch of
>                                      # virtual servers on it?
> require valid-user
>

> Will this .htaccess also protect all directories below it, or do I need to put
> one in each directory down the tree, if there are any?  (I think there won't
> be, but that could change.)
>
> If they do decide to go with an assigned user-id and password for
> each person (I doubt they will), how large should the user database be
> allowed to get before going to a DB or DBM format?
>
> And finally, any and all decent how-to sources on this are gratefully
> accepted.  My dead-tree editions have been kind of sparce on this, and I
> haven't found very much on the web so far either, except a useful article on
> www.apacheweek.com that got me this far.  Guess I haven't looked under just
> the right rocks yet.

well, I think you've got it all figured out.  This is how I
password-protect some of PHT's sensitive areas, although I just declare
the restrictions in /etc/httpd/conf/access.conf instead of with individual
.htaccess files (you can do it either way).

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)