Re: tlug: RJ-11 in the UK?

On 15 Oct 1998, Frank Bennett wrote:

> Jonathan Byrne - 3Web <jq@example.com> writes:
>
> > Does anybody know if the UK phone system uses RJ-11 jacks?
>
> No, they use something different.  Don't know what it's called,
> but it's a different plug from the States and Japan.
>
> > I was just talking
> > to somebody who insists the Hayes PCMCIA modem she brought from the UK has a
> > cord that's too big for the Japanese jacks.  But then she sometimes describes
> > it the other way around, too.
>
> She's telling the truth.  It's wider and thinner than an RJ-ll.

Who's got H2 on the brain now, Jonathan?  :)

> Another thing to watch for is the "guard tone" setting.  I think
> that in the UK it needs to be set to "off" (my memory of this is
> really vague, so DON'T trust me --- but it should be in the
> manual if she's still got that to hand).  The Japan phone system
> might be indifferent, or might need the opposite setting.

In the U.S., Guard Tone is OFF.  I believe my USR Sportster manual
specifies that guard tones are *for* the UK.

> Who knows?  Isn't serial communications FUN?  Brings back all
> kinds of distinctive memories, this.

yeah.  BTW, Analog phones/modems are compatible between Japan and the USA.
Jacks are the same size and everything :)  It's just the ISDN switches
that are different.

> Cheers,
> --
> -x80
> Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@
> Faculty of Law, Nagoya Univ () email: bennett@example.com
> Tel: +81[(0)52]789-2239     () WWW:   http://rumple.soas.ac.uk/~bennett/
> Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)