Re: tlug: Re: linux cluster

Scott Stone writes:
 > >  >
 > > But they lack the floating point performance, although they are faster
 > > at integer at the same clock speed.
 >
 > well, they're fast enough at floating point for almost anything, esp. the
 > K6-2 series, which adds some new floating point wizardry that the original
 > K6 does not have.  In any case, they've always been better than the Cyrix
 > 6x86, at least.  The upshot is that I can use xmame under X11 at 16bpp
 > now, whereas before I had to use 8bpp since 16bpp was too slow.  And
 > compiling stuff is really fast :) .. But I suppose for scientific
 > computing/what have you, the fpu speed is probably more important...

Yes, that was what I was thinking of. Of course the K6-2 is a fine
processor and because of it`s pricing and socket 7 compatibility a
very inexpensive alternative. And the 3Dnow stuff is supposed to be
very useful especially for 3D games.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
Department of Physics    | $B")(B $B#2#7#4!<#8#5#1#0(B
Toho University          | $B@example.com)A%66;T;0;3#2!<#2!<#1(B
Miyama 2-2-1, Funabashi, | $BElK.Bg3X(B  $BM}3XIt(B  $BJ*M}(B
Chiba 274-8510           |
Japan			 |
e-mail : mocm@example.com