Re: tlug: Re: linux cluster

Scott Stone <sstone@example.com> wrote:

> > The Xeon chips support up to 2 MB of cache. Yes, they are expensive, but
> > Gateway just came out with a Xeon fully loaded model for under
> > U.S.$4,000.
>
> You can get a DEC Alpha for that... why would I rather have a Xeon
> instead?

I wasn't suggesting that you should. Just wanted to point out that the 2
MB cache chips are already here. The Gateway, I believe, is targeted at
the all-around high-end consumer-type user (you know, like my kids). In
that respect, it has much better native application support than the
Alpha.

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo
dehoog@example.com