Re: tlug: NFS question

    Frank> Scott Stone <sstone@example.com> writes:
    >> You're sure there's no BOOTP stuff for Windows, too?  Anyway,
    >> I'm fairly familiar with bootp and I can send some sample
    >> config files if anyone wants them.  It's pretty easy.  I made a
    >> program once that would sniff your local network and generate a
    >> bootp config file based on the current settings of each machine
    >> on your LAN, but now I can't remember where it is... :)

    Frank> I'm planning to write something similar some rainy winter's
    Frank> day, to tighten up our administrative act.  We've got a
    Frank> central reporting facility for IP addresses that's supposed
    Frank> to be kept up to date as a reference for network
    Frank> development.  We've got too many loose threads over here
    Frank> for me to do the checking by hand, so I want to tie
    Frank> together a sniffer, and an Expect script to run the
    Frank> command-line interface of the registry.  And go home early.

    Frank> I was wondering, though, how to sniff out the MAC address
    Frank> that matches an IP address?  Tcpdump only seems to yield IP
    Frank> address.

Frank,

	This should do the trick.

ARPWATCH 1.7
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Network Research Group
tcpdump@example.com
ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/arpwatch-*.tar.Z

This directory contains source code for arpwatch, a tool that monitors
ethernet activity and keeps a database of ethernet/ip  address
pairings. It also reports certain changes via email.

Andy