Re: tlug: NFS question

"Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com> writes:

>     Frank> The
>     Frank> terminal machines will run Applix and Netscape and what
>     Frank> have you, from the disk in each terminal.  Data, mail, and
>     Frank> bootpd parameters will be stored on the server.
>
> Is it really necessary to have the applications on the individual
> machines? I would just through them on the server and make upgrade
> easier.

I may need to expand the size of the installation in the
reasonably near future, so I need to keep down its consumption of
bandwidth.  Upgrades can be done via rdist as and when required.

[snip]

Many thanks for the details on automounter and NFS.  I'll work my
way through the notes when I sit down with the machine and puzzle
out a strategy.  If there's no network hit in just mounting /home
to the client machines, though, I'll probably just do that,
because it keeps the configuration so much simpler.  We don't
have a full-time network administrator to watch over this stuff
yet, so it's got to be pretty easy for me to untangle in case I'm
drawn back to it to fix problems.

Cheers,
--
-x80