Re: tlug: Re: multi-processor linux configuration ?

"Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com> wrote,

>     Manuel> "Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com> wrote,
>     >> >>>>> "Darren" == Darren Cook <darren@example.com> writes:
>     >>
>     Darren> One interesting thing I read - the more machines you have,
>     Darren> the more often you'll seem to have machine failures. So
>     Darren> make sure the machines are easy to replace, and that your
>     Darren> application can adapt to machines coming and going.
>     >>  I would just setup one master machine and then use rdist to
>     >> keep them all in sync. Keeping all the file systems ( partions
>     >> ) the same will make life a lot simpler. You should be able to
>     >> do the install of a new machine over then local net. Once a
>     >> very basic system is installed, rdist from the master machine
>     >> and your set.
>
>     Manuel> I'd use `rsync':
>
>     Manuel>   http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/
>
>     Manuel> Saves a lot of network traffic in case you apply some
>     Manuel> changes, ie., only the changes are transferred (like with
>     Manuel> diff).
>
> I tried it once. It used so much CPU that I gave up.

Hmm, I use rsync daily and never had a problem with CPU
usage.  Disk and network access speed usually constraints
its performance.  Is it possible that you used it some time
ago when it was still in its infants?  From the rsync
mailing list, I figure that it is quite widely used for
rather heavy jobs these days.

> If I were really worried about bandwidth, I think I design something
> different. I would have the master machine broadcast the time-stamps
> of each file in the tree and have the clients send back a list of
> which ones they are interested in. After receiving the replies for all
> the clients, I would then broadcast out the files. The individual
> client machines would then pick off the files they are
> interested in.

Broadcasting would definitely be worthwhile if you have a
big number of machines.  But then, such a program would need
a while to develop.  So how about the old parallel computing
idea of realising broadcasts by a tree-like communication
scheme.  Machine M1 rsyncs to M2, in the next step M1 rsyncs
to M3 while M2 rsyncs to M4, in the next step M1 to M4 rsync
four other machines, and so on.  Easy to implement and rsync
already uses time-stamps.

> Having said that, we have used rdist on large trading floors ( several
> hundred machines ) with good results. This is usually done at night,
> so the fact that it takes a couple hours is not a problem.
>
> If you are updating just one machine, such as when adding a new one,
> you can do the rdist only to that one machine.
>
> For a set of machines that are usually in sync with one another, the
> number of files that change tend to be rather small. More bandwidth is
> probably used in figuring out what to send. One could probably speed
> up rdist a bit by having the master create a file containing the
> structure and time-stamps of the tree it wants to propagate, send that
> to the clients ( compressed ), and have the clients make requests for
> the files from the server. As rdist is now, it walks down the tree and
> sends the time-stamps to the client, which then decides if it needs
> that file or not( I think... ). Over a slow link, that part of the
> process could consume a bit of time.

I think, rsync uses an algorithm similar to the one you
outlined.

> Sorry to ramble on....

Sorry, for pushing rsync, but I am just enthusiastic about
the program :-)

Manuel