Re: tlug: parallel-port IDE

On Oct 14, 10:05am, Chris Sekiya wrote:
} Subject: Re: tlug: parallel-port IDE

Chris Sekiya <chris@example.com> wrote:
>> (did the tlug list suddenly transform into sci.military.naval?)

Seems like it...
>> On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>> > We lost almost all of our commissioned battleships at Pearl Harbor -
>> > the only ones that weren't there were either just being finished in
>> > the shipyard or, I believe, were on their way to pearl harbor anyway
>> > from a remote tour.
>>
>> Small loss.  Battleships had been obsolete for years at that point.

Is that why the USN still operates them?   8-)}

>> The
>> introduction of the aircraft carrier changed the nature of surface
>> warfare.
>>
>> Disagree?  Look at the Prince of Wales, the Repulse,

The Repulse was a battlecruiser, not a battleship (lighter, less armour,
greater speed). The Hood was a battlecruiser too.

>> the Japanese
>> battleships (_any_ of them), the Graf Spee ...

The Graf Spee was a "pocket" battleship

You could have mentioned the Bismark, Tirpitz, Rodney, King George V,
etc. all of which did see action with varying degrees of success.

Anyway, point taken. If the aircraft carriers had been caught at Pearl
Harbor, the Pacific war would have been *very* different. The absence of
the battleships probably had no impact.

Jim

--
Jim Breen        School of Computer Science & Software Engineering
Email: j.breen@example.com                Monash University