Re: tlug: Another TL Install problem

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Michael Chiu wrote:

> Ok,
>
> Now we're trying to load TL2.0J onto an old IBM Personal Computer 330
> (486DX/4-100 system), but after doing the full install, and rebooting,
> the computer starts up and shows "LI" and hangs...
>
> Can anyone help me out with this problem?

My old friend LILO!  yikes!  hm.. ok.  Answer for me the standard LILO
questions:

1.  Is this drive bigger than 500 megs?  is LBA mode set (or even
available on that machine?).  If this is the problem, you'll need to make
one small partition < the 1024 cylinder mark that's the bootable one, and
then have /usr mounted somewhere else, or what have you.

2.  Is this drive /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd?  If so, that's the problem.  LILO
doesn't (usually) like to boot partitions on the secondary IDE chain if
the MBR is on /dev/hda (likewise with SCSI, albeit not as often in that
case.  LILO is weird).

3.  Have you told LILO to boot ANY partitions that are straddling or above
the 1024 cyl mark on ANY of the drives, or have you told it to boot any
partition (OS doesn't matter) on /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd?

> Thanks,
>
> ---
> Michael Chiu
> mchiu@example.com
> ICQ: 5850128
> Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)