Re: tlug: Kinput2 and Wnn6

    Frank> Here's the response I got a few minutes ago from Omron
    Frank> Software.  I've provided interlineary translations:

    Omron> It's unlikely that support for Wnn6 will be provided
    Omron> through Kinput2, but we're thinking of producing a PC-UNIX
    Omron> version of our "xwnmo" XIM client, which is functionally
    Omron> similar to Kinput2.  Using Applixware-J through this
    Omron> client, all of the facilities of Wnn6 would become
    Omron> available to that process.  The AI learning facility would
    Omron> be one of these.

Too bad; kinput2 beats the pants off the version of xwnmo in Wnn 4.2.
However, they may be planning on producing a vastly upgraded version,
to match some of the features of kinput2.  That would be fine
(assuming the price of Wnn6 doesn't go up).

You say Emacs does the learning, huh?  This term ends Nov 16, and I
have an article commitment for Nov 23, then I have some free time, I
think.  Lessee if we can beat Omron to market with a port of the Lisp
code to kinput2 :-}  Remind me, ne?

The kinput2 code is pretty impenetrable, though.  About like Emacs
itself.  To quote Karl-Max: "They knew it was hell.  But they called
it `Xlib'."  :-)  And we'll have to take a look at the kinput2 license,
but I think it's just plain X Consortium.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091