Re: tlug: libc or glibc,easy install

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> If you have a lot of space (for my usage pattern, it's been hard to
> fit a functional TL system into 650 MB; the same functionality easily
> fits into 450 MB with Debian) TL does offer the convenience of
> pre-selected system lists, which you can just load and install.  Good
> deal, not available with Debian at all as far as I know.

On Debian 2, there are some sets that you can choose from. Pretty
similar to the TL groupings.

> The other tools are excellent, but I don't use them once the install
> is over.  Debian's install is equally easy in my experience.  Except
> that Debian requires you to make about 7 floppies plus a boot floppy.

Not exactly necessary: now Debian lets you d/l a base package to
a partition and install from there. MUCH faster than hassling with
the pile of floppies.

> One thing that Debian has that's nice is a menuing standard.

I just found that a few minutes ago. Really cool! If you want to
put in an app from a tarball, just make an entry in the menus
directory and it pops right up into the menus when you fire up X.

> Hands down Debian wins on number of distribution packages.  Probably
> not if you are willing to risk the RedHat contrib archives.

And there can be considerable risk....

> Footnotes:
> [1]  Be quiet, X gurus.  I'm making a point here.

Well, I'm not an X guru, so it's ok to yacc here, isn't it???

David Riley

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki
Hachinohe-shi Aomori-ken  031-8501  JAPAN

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp/