tlug: beeps from motherboards again

Scott Stone writes:

 > I have a weird thing happening here.  We have two machines that share one
 > monitor via a switchbox.  If the switch is on A and the 'B' machine is
 > powered up, we get beeps: 1 long, three short, just like the one we were
 > discussing here before, that Jonathan's book says is a memory problem.
 >
 > However, it starts fine (no beeps) when the monitor switch is on B at
 > powerup time.  Why would this be?

Some graphics cards don`t like it when they are notconnected to a
monitor or at least a cable. I only found out about that, when I
bought a real magic card a couple of years ago and it came with some
kind of VGA connector plug which could be plugged into the VGA card,
because the real magic card was connected to it via feature connector
and the monitor was connected to the real magic card. I never had a
VGA card that needed it, though.

Marcus