Re: tlug: libc or glibc,easy install

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Darren Cook wrote:

> I at last seem to have time to install Linux (as dual boot with NT) on my
> own machine , and I've got a few questions:
>
> 1.I've seen people talk about libc and glibc (or something like that), in
> relation to kernels? Is glibc newer/better?

it's not really in relation to the kernel, it's its own big hairy animal
all by itself.  The standard C library is required by (almost) everything
in a typical linux distribution, so it's one of the cornerstone
components, like the kernel is.

> 2.I heard that the RedHat CD on sale in Akihabara was a buggy version
> (5.0?), so I'd end up having to download lots of replacements. Has that
> changed?

Maybe.  You're better off with TurboLinux in any case[1][2]

> 3.Any recommendations/advice generally? I want it to be easy to install,
> and not require me to invest lots of time learning/understanding things (at
> the expense of speed, disk space and flexibility if neccessary).
>
> Darren

[1] This is a subjective opinion, however you ARE guaranteed better tech
support with TL than with RH, since I'm the head of development for TL and
I'm on this mailing list :)  Ask Jonathan about it, too :)

[2] You can also check out TL from the TLUG library (Redhat, too).

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)