tlug: Kterm/Xterm remote windows config

I am badly stumped by a Kterm problem.  I _think_ that my
difficulty is not specific to Kterm, but would appear under Xterm
as well.

Our mail server (nomolog) is a Sun SS5 running Redhat Linux 4.1.
My own machine runs TurboLinux-J 2.0.  I do most of the system
work on the mail server via Kterm, which I have configured to run
from a *Wharf button in my ~/.steprc file thus:

  *Wharf Nomo     xterm-nomo.xpm Exec "-" rsh nomolog.nagoya-u.ac.jp /usr/bin/X11/kterm -ls -T 'Nomo'  -display 133.6.33.14:0 &

This works swimmingly, except that the "@" key appears to trigger
a "kill", and neither that key nor ^C works to kill running
processes.  This is a real pain.  Among other things, it bars me
from using the "mail" command, because I can't enter the "@" in
an offsite address.

I have tried starting the terminal with an without the -ls (login
shell) option.  I have tried setting the TERMCAP environment
variable to the same value it has on my TurboLinux system.  TERM
is correctly set to "kterm" on the remote system, when invoked as
a login shell.

Stty reports the following on the remote (misbehaving) kterm:

  bash$ stty
  speed 9600 baud; line = 0;
  intr = ^?; erase = #; kill = @; start = <undef>; stop = <undef>;
  susp = <undef>; dsusp = <undef>; rprnt = M-^?; werase = M-^?; lnext = M-^?;
  flush = M-^?;
  -brkint -imaxbel
  -iexten -echoctl -echoke
  bash$

It reports this status regardless of the value of TERM, and
regardless of whether TERMCAP is set or not.  Issuing the
following does NOT restore "@" as a useful key --- I still get a
bell when it is pressed:

  stty kill undef

The only way I appear to be able to get a normal terminal is by
opening a Kterm on the local machine and telnetting through to
the server.  I can write a little Expect script to make this
transparent, but it bugs me when things don't work as (I think)
they ought, and sooner or later this will come around and bite me
again anyway.

Cheers,
--
-x80