Re: tlug: Kinput2 and Wnn6

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> writes:

>     Frank> Sorry, I should have stated the point more explicitly: why
>     Frank> should the _server_ behave differently when it is accessed
>     Frank> via different
>
> Because the client/server interfaces are different, is what I meant.
> The way that kinput2 interacts with Wnn is different from the way that
> Emacs does.  They use the same API, but their usages differ.

Agreed.  With any sort of luck, I'll hear something back from
Ishisone-san about whether he plans to fix it in the next
patchlevel.

> Another possibility is that the database is poorly implemented and (a)
> the running process's data doesn't get informed about updates from
> another process running concurrently or (b - hard to believe it would
> be this bad) locking is badly implemented so that one process's
> updates get wiped out by the other's update.

(b) is not the problem; updates always fail to happen from
Kinput2, even when there is only one running process using it,
and no Emacs in memory.  The data doesn't turn up later, either,
so (a) (if I understand the point correctly) isn't the problem
either.  It looks very much like there are just buttons that
Emacs/egg pushes in the API that Kinput2 doesn't (yet) know how
to use.  Wnn6 works fine with Emacs; there doesn't seem to be
cause for raising suspicions about its internal design yet
(whatever one might think about the terms under which it is
distributed).

I'm pretty confident that the problem will get fixed reasonably
soon; the Applixware and Wnn6 people could both do quite well out
of the university market, but that market will not open to them
unless something is done about this limitation in Kinput2 --- as
an earlier correspondent indicated in this thread, Applixware-J
is frustrating to Japanese users, so Japanese labs (including
mine) will hold off purchasing and installing it until the FEP
improves, or someone comes along with another package that works
better.

It's just a matter of time.

Cheers,
--