Re: tlug: parallel-port IDE

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > However, the points made about computer-savvy people in Japan is correct -
> > just looking at tech support issues, Japanese customers seem to need a bit
> > more 'hand holding' than the Americans I was dealing with back in Utah.
> > I'm not even going to speculate on why this might be, as I have no idea
> > whatsoever, but I'd be interested in hearing other peoples' views on this.
>
> I don't know what, if any, conclusions can be drawn from it, but the tech
> support calls that I get from non-Japanese are just as bad as what I would
> expect in the United States, such as the person who thought that all she
> had to do was plug in her terminal to an electrical outlet and the
> mainframe would somehow find it and deliver the data to her (this happened
> in 1988 in San Diego).   And she was really furious and yelled at me
> because she couldn't just pick up her terminal and put it anywhere she
> liked :-)

Well, boneheaded morons are a feature of every country, but what I'm
talking about are slightly higher-level users - people that normally use
computers and don't do things that are obviously stupid.  In Japan, these
people seem to want more personal attention, as opposed to reading the
manual.  And, this being Japan, it would be considered impolite to tell
the customer, "Ok, stack all the parts on your chair... now stand on top
so that you can see over your cubicle wall... now yell, "Does anyone here
know how to read a manual??"".. (taken from Dilbert).

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)