Re: tlug: The meeting...

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, J. Sean Bennett wrote:

> getting my 486 linux box up and running.  It's a 100/DX-4; I tried it with
> 60ns ram (from a pentium system), but it wouldn't boot - just a series of
> beeps; could it be that the ram is too fast, a parity/nonparity thing, or is
> memory not likely my problem?? Any tips welcome :-)

There's no such thing as too fast :-)
If the memory came from a Pentium system, it's probably EDO, unless it was a
very, very old Pentium.  My Pentium 90 is a bit over three years old now and
it came with EDO, as most or all of them did then.   It's possible your 486
board doesn't support EDO.  If so, that could be a problem.

Those beeps it's making do mean something, so if you have or can get
documentation on the motherboard, that may help you with troubleshooting,
too.  If you don't, tell me what BIOS you have and what the pattern of beeps
is.  I have a book with charts of the meanings of beep codes, but they're a
bit long to type in :-)  If the beeps are grouped, and if there are
combinations of long and short beeps, please note that as well.  For
example, 3 long and 2 short, or all the same length but a 1-2-1 pattern,
etc.  I'll look in my charts and see if I can find something to match.

Cheers,

Jonathan