Re: tlug: kinput2, Emacs, Wnn6

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Frank Bennett wrote:

> A fresh new message, straight from the cleaners.  よろしくね。
>
> I am using Applixware and FSF Emacs 20.2 on the same machine.
> Both are using the Wnn6 conversion engine, but via different
> methods. Applixware relies on Kinput2 to access the jserver,
> while Emacs accesses the jserver via its own "egg.elc" client.
>
> I have two little queries.  Both are related to keyboard
> behavior.
>
> First, there must be a method of setting things up so that the
> same keys handle conversion in both systems.  Currently, Emacs
> wakes up Japanese input upon a keystroke I've specified in .emacs
> (ESC-ESC).  Emacs converts the trial string when SPACE is hit,
> and finalizes conversion when ENTER is hit.  The current scope is
> moved around using C-o and ESC-i and other Emacs-isms.
>
> In Applixware, Japanese input wakes up with SHIFT-SPACE.  Current
> trial string is converted upon CTRL-J.  Conversion is finalized
> with CTRL-L (ENTER also finalizes, but also gives you a new line,
> which you usually don't want).  Conversion scope is moved around
> using SHIFT-<l/r arrow>.

really, yours does ctrl-J?  Mine uses ctrl-C, which is probably worse.

> The differences between the two keyboard patterns are
> troublesome.  What is worse, though, is that SHIFT-SPACE in Emacs
> wakes up Kinput2, and if you're typing at speed, input is fed
> into the window before you get a chance to kill it.  At that
> point, it becomes stubborn; sometimes I can't seem to make it
> close without killing it by force --- which brings down the
> Kinput2 daemon.  A running Applixware (ALL of it) then freezes
> solid, which is a particular joy.

you can't switch out of J input mode w/ kinput2 if you have the
caps/scroll/num locks on, btw.

> I've worked with the system for a couple of weeks in this state,
> and I've concluded that I'll be better off investing the time to
> sort this out properly; the overlapping use of SHIFT-SPACE in the
> two systems makes it much too likely that I or someone else will
> misskey in Emacs when we reach for Japanese conversion.
>
> Can Emacs be made to function with Kinput2?  And how can I
> customize the control keys for Kinput2 (a sample from a
> customized app-defaults/Kinput2 config file would be a godsend)?

Let me ask our Japanese guys about all of this.  Maybe there's a way to
customize kinput2 .. I'll check.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)