Re: tlug: Running X with Riva128

From: Scott Stone <sstone@example.com>
> On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Takeshi Hakamada wrote:
>
> > Scott Stone wrote:

> > > Try it.  The Riva128 *must* have an IRQ assigned to it in order to work
> > > with Linux, BTW.  Make sure that your CMOS is assigning it one, and that
> > > it's not conflicting with your fancy-pants SCSI and sound cards :)
> >
> > I forgot to tell you that I *also* have Intel EtherExpress Pro100 100BaseT
> > card. I noticed this card share IRQ 11 with Riva128. Then I suspected this
> > card prevent me from running Xserver.
> > After I changed PCI bus number of EtherExpress from #1 to #4, it has used
> > IRQ5 and I was able to run Xserver!
> >
> > However,  I still concern that IRQ5 is shared with my fancy dual channel
> > SCSI and EtherExpress since IRQ sharing may cause problem like this.
>
> Most BIOSes will let you manually assign IRQs to the different PCI slots.
> Try doing that.

I checked out my BIOS and there is no option for manual IRQ assignment
to PCI slots. I'm sure this functionality is implemented on Award BIOS
on Asus motherboard. But Award BIOS on EPoX's MVP3 motherboard doesn't
support it. So I have to change PCI cards where it doesn't share IRQ
with other cards. It is very difficult. On my current configuration,
EtherExpress shares IRQ 5 with Initio SCSI and its conflict causes
EtherExpress to not work. I get 'SIOCS*** Resource temporarily unavailable'
error when I issue 'ifconfig eth0 up'.

Does Linux support IRQ sharing? I have to learn about IRQ staring strategy
unless Linux support IRQ sharing.

Takeshi