Re: tlug: Bound Gimp manual?

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Shigeo Honda wrote:

> I was a honest Photoshop user. But I enjoy Gimp these days. Easy to
> create web parts, such as 3D buttons, drop shadows and so on.

Thanks for the tip on the book!  Maybe you can tell me how to work around
this problem I've had with Gimp, too :-)  If I make an image (nothing real
complicated, pointers, text graphics, things like that) and have it very
smooth looking, that doesn't survive conversion to .gif format.  The
instructions I've found say that you need to quantize the colors and then
change the image from RGB to Indexed.  Quantizing the colors is no
problem, but when I make it indexed, everything like gaussian blurring,
etc., disappears and the image is really jagged.  Is there something
different I should be doing, or is this just something in Gimp that needs
more work?

Right now I usually use Paint Shop Pro 5 under Windows for making
graphics, because it's powerful, super easy to use, and can often take
things all the way down to 16 colors while retaining good image quality.
When it can't, I use Image Magick's mogrify program, which is amazingly
good at color reduction.  It's better than anything I've ever used, and
I highly recommend it.   It would really be nice to get that book, though,
and figure out how to do some of this stuff with Gimp.  Thanks for the
info.

Jonathan