tlug: hard disk failure

Scott Stone writes:

 > Sorry if ume.pht.co.jp was bouncing mail earlier - the brand-new 8.4GB
 > Maxtor IDE disk that I installed less than a week ago went out last night.
 > At least 20-30 bad sectors on the drive, looks like (no idea how/why).
 > Never had a drive fail that quickly before.
 >
 > Anyway, the data was (mostly) recovered and we're back online.  Sorry if
 > there were 'undeliverable mail' messages being thrown about.
My brother had some problems with the Maxtor 8.4. He had to limit the
PIO mode to PIO3 I think. I have the same drive, but I am using it
with UDMA which works fine. I think there was also a test by the
German magazine C`t where they talked about problems with the Maxtor.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
Department of Physics    | $B")(B $B#2#7#4!<#8#5#1#0(B
Toho University          | $B@example.com)A%66;T;0;3#2!<#2!<#1(B
Miyama 2-2-1, Funabashi, | $BElK.Bg3X(B  $BM}3XIt(B  $BJ*M}(B
Chiba 274-8510           |
Japan			 |
e-mail : mocm@example.com