Re: [Re: tlug: Linux for the masses: a civil reply, I hope.]

De Hoog wrote:
>Right on, TJ. Not as lucid as usual, perhaps, but pretty much on the

Thanks (so far). My lack of lucidity a function of several different things
here.

>As a person who regards computers as mere tools, not a way of life, I've
>personally decided to ignore the Turnbulls of the Linux community,
>taking comfort in something that none other than Linus Torvalds said
>recently:

I regard computers as tools as well--but I do respect "way of life decisions."
 And judging by your autobiogaphy on Washi, you made some yourself.   But I'm
paying  very careful attention to Turnbull; and think I understand better his
commitment/"open source" agenda.  Though I'm finally not that deep. His
concerns with Internet protocols/workable standards make more sense to _me_.

That aside,  yes, I certainly do hope that Torvalds' prediction proves
correct: "We'll get all the applications we'll need."  I'll pass on the
general HTML editors debate, out of sheer ignorance.  For DTP publishing on
the Mac, which I did just a little of back a few years, WYSIWYG was very
useful:__saved time and money__.  How it worked over a large network (fine on
the small one), if it violated protocols, how it would/did transfer to
HTML--all concerns I did not deal with and hence can not comment on.

As for your website, I've recommended it to a number of people already. You
have your number of hits, comments, et cetera. That should provide a pretty
good sampling of how it looks/runs on different browsers, et cetera.  Again,
since it all works quite well for me, . . . count me among the many ignorant,
I guess.

As for the commerical programs being debated, as a _consumer_, I generally
read a wide sampling of reviews and ask around before I buy a program.  You
tried a few and found one that works for you.  That's the bottom line.  And
that's finally why many Sys Admin types are interested in Linux: it works for
them better than what else they tested and tried.

Best to all w/all,
TJH

Sorry for the Netscape header!