Re: tlug: Printed media?? Who needs TeX?

    jdh> Jonathan Byrne - 3Web <jq@example.com> wrote:

    >> On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, John De Hoog wrote:
    >>
    >> > Sometimes I worry about you people in academia. ;-) Don't you
    >> > know by now that printed output is going the way of the
    >> > typewriter, and that digital output on flat screens and
    >> > publishing via the Internet are the direction the world is
    >> > headed?

Top Ten Reasons Why Print Is Better

10. You can wipe your butt hundreds of times with a Tom Clancy book.
    (This _is_ Japan.)
9.  It's much easier to tack up a centerfold than an LCD.
8.  It is not possible to interface Talking Purple Dinosaurs to print.
7.  The bloody user can't change style sheets and then complain about
    how ugly/unreadable/invisible your text is.
6.  It's possible to leave just the memo you don't want to talk about
    at home/on the train/on the plane.
5.  You can suck spilled coffee off a page; recovery rate from down
    in the keyboard is much lower, even with a straw.
4.  You can rip a single page out of a book and throw darts at it.
3.  Your daughter won't try to change the channel to Sesame Street on
    a book.
2.  Throw your book at your antagonist, and you can still read _all_
    of your other books.

And the #1 killer reason why I won't abandon print:

1.  The look on my baby's face when she turns the pages---and then
    rips them right out of the spine and eats them :-) but it's _that
    look_.  (She's especially partial to Watts Humphrey and Fred
    Brooks, for some reason.  Also The Lion King, but it's sturdier
    and still intact.)

Books are fun, man.  YMMV, of course.

    jdh> It may never happen completely, but my point was that the
    jdh> academic community looks pretty silly when it is embarrassed
    jdh> by something as flexible and revolutionary as html.

I'm not embarrassed, I'm frustrated by something as _inflexible_ as
HTML actually is.  Of course I'm very excited by the possibilities of
publishing my class notes (even with the equations emasculated) to the
Web, and daunted by the possibilities of Java-enhanced diagrams.

But for my vocation, I need to be able to render

\begin{eqnarray}
v(d,t;\lambda,\alpha) = \lambda(t_{1})u_{1}(d,t)
   & + & \sum_{j\in N}\sum_{s_{j}\in T_{j}}
        u_{j}(d,t)\alpha_{j}(s_{j}|t_{j}) \nonumber \\
   & - & \sum_{j\in N}\sum_{s_{j}\in T_{j}}
        u_{j}(d,(t_{-j},s_{j}))\alpha_{j}(t_{j}|s_{j}).
\end{eqnarray}

Help me do it in equally readable HTML, please?

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091