Re: tlug: Re: kernel modules (was: Kernel rebuild problem)

Rex Walters wrote:
> Loadable modules are at least conceptually convenient for infrequently
> used things.  I seriously doubt I would ever compile minix or hpfs
> filesystems into one of my production kernels, but if ever I needed to
> mount a floppy or whatever with one of those filesystems on it, it's
> nice to know I won't need to compile a kernel and reboot (an
> artificial -- and unlikely -- example but the concept is valid).

Well, it may not be common, but it's not artificial in my case.  I
mount my Os2 drive via a hpfs module on occaision, and I don't see the
reason to waste (admittedly small)memory the weeks I don't need to use
it. (Mostly I use Win-OS2 to run Wine.)

On the other hand, I usually recompile to get rid of that stupid rtc
interrupt hog.

Speaking of interrupts, is it possible to share interrupts, as Win95
hardware manager seems to do?  It would greatly ease my interrupt
crunch.

Say I compile everything as modules.  When those modules are unloaded,
take lpd for instance, can the interrupt be used for something else, say
a pcmcia card?  I rarely use a printer, but don't want to be forced to
eliminate support for it completely to free up int 7 for other stuff.
Is
this possible and I just missed a description somewhere?  Or am I
dreaming.

My guess is no, because how else would the lpd get called to load.
However, I thought Parallel Port network driver coexisted with lpd when
both were made as modules.

So, is it possible?