Re: tlug: Re: Linux taking over the globe?

    >> The benefits of learning Linux are not a prerequisite for
    >> living and working in a technical society.

    Karl-Max> But they are benefits nevertheless.

Sure---but Karl-Max, you're the one who relegates those who haven't
learned Linux to sweeping streets (by implication, of course you
didn't say that outright).

    >> Bullshit.  Anything that can be built with GCC on Linux can be
    >> built with DJGPP on DOS, except for stuff that #include's
    >> <linux/...> stuff.

    Karl-Max> In principle yes, says Radio Eriwan, but.....that's a
    Karl-Max> pain in the ass !

    Karl-Max> Under Linux you just go ahead and get it done !

Nice; I already replied to that point but you cut the context.
Paraphrasing, just like for most Linux distributions, it's
download-from-Simtel-and-unzip for the large majority of useful softo.

    >> Free software is free, and the first big decision most Linux
    >> users have to make is whether to wipe that other "free" OS off
    >> their box,

    Karl-Max> Not every. A large portion of boxes these days have been
    Karl-Max> assembled by the future user himself or by one of
    Karl-Max> his/her computer savvy buddies - and thus they come
    Karl-Max> blank.

Not in the case of the people you want to hand brooms to, and
certainly not in university general-use computer labs.  Also, I don't
think that the "large portion" amounts to more than a small minority
---except in the case of already convicted Linux users.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091