Re: tlug: More 'Unix vs Windows' in the news...

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Sean Bennett wrote:

>Here, in its SEC filing, Microsoft made mention of the
>increasing competition linux is posing to windows...

If you don't want to wade through MSNBC looking for it, the direct URL for
this is:

<http://www.msnbc.com/news/199840.asp>

>...while in the following cnet link, a confessed windows
>user compares RH5.1 with WinNT5.0 (albeit, beta) as
>network/web servers...

Interesting that a fairly confirmed NT guy like that gave the edge to Linux as
a web server platform.  But my favorite thing he said comes from the
last line in this passage from another of his articles:

---
It's been a while since any really cool tchotckes have landed on my desk.
Microsoft tried--I was up in Seattle a couple weeks ago getting brainwashed on
the virtues of Windows NT 5.0, and the Microserfs handed out a Leatherman
Micra pocket tool to each attendee. The problem is that it doesn't really
relate to the product it's intended to promote--it's a beautiful implement,
with built-in scissors and tweezers and a half-dozen other handy tools.
But what does a small, useful, flexible tool have to do with Windows NT 5.0?
---

:-)

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section