Re: tlug: Problems with my harddisk

Jonathan Byrne - 3Web writes:
 > On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Felix Morley Finch wrote:
 >
 > >I think hard disks aren't sealed, only well filtered.  Could be wrong
 > >of course :-)
 >
 > Sure could - they're sealed :-)
Even when they are sealed they can have problems. For one thing there
is heat of course. Sometimes it is enough to put an extra fan on the
harddisk. My brother did that once. He used a CPU fan and it help a
lot during the "hot" German summer. Another thing may be the humidity
that causes problems not in the harddisk but in the connectors to the
harddisk. I had that problem with my notebook. Everytime it got really
humid the harddisk started to produce errors. I really don`t know how
I fixed it. I just cleaned the connector sockets of the harddisk and
the note (there is no cable you have to slide it into the socket) and
it worked. That never happened in Germany, but it doesn`t get as humid
as here. Of course the humidity could also have some effect on the
electronics on the harddisk, those are not sealed. On the other hand
if it is a Quantum then it might just be the harddisk. I remember we
had one where it was necessary to install a new BIOS on the disk so it
would work with linux. After that we never bought Quantum again.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
Department of Physics    | $B")(B $B#2#7#4!<#8#5#1#0(B
Toho University          | $B@example.com)A%66;T;0;3#2!<#2!<#1(B
Miyama 2-2-1, Funabashi, | $BElK.Bg3X(B  $BM}3XIt(B  $BJ*M}(B
Chiba 274-8510           |
Japan			 |
e-mail : mocm@example.com