Re: tlug: Re: Many Faces on Linux

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:
>
> >After your and Jonathan's post, I realized that I have be living in a
> >(UNIX) shell too long. The shareware movement seems to be mostly PC
> >based, or rather most (all?) of what I use is not shareware.
>
> Indeed, there is little or no UNIX/Linux shareware out there, but I think that
> shareware is something that has the possibility of being good for Linux, if

The only shareware that I know of for Linux is Wingz and MpegTV.  I'm not
even sure if Wingz could be called Shareware anymore, since the parent
company doesn't seem to even acknowledge its existence anymore (although
they DO have a brand-new version of WingZ and some other stuff, also for
Linux, available commercially.  Considering that it's received close to
zero attention from the Linux community, I think that's a shame - I've
always really liked WingZ ever since I used it in physics class at the
University.

Incidentally, XGalaga used to be shareware, but now it's GPL.  However,
it's always come with source code, so I guess it sort of pioneered the
idea that Jonathan had.  Guess it didn't work too well, though, since he
moved it to GPL.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)