tlug: info Japanese support, docbook Japanese?

Hello,
I've been testing out the GNU info system.  The Japanese info pages
appear to be in JIS and I can read the info pages with
GNU Emacs.  However, I can't read the pages with jed-ja, info,
or XEmacs.  I was wondering if there was some environmental variable
I needed to set for info that would specify the display encoding?
The pages I have been testing info on are the Japanese set of
pages for mew.  What appears to be happening is that the info
in jed-ja and the info program are not intepretting the JIS and
is spitting the characters to the screen with the ESC code sequences
there.  The entire screen is bakemoji.

On another topic, does DocBook support Japanese?

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda craigoda@example.com http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda