Re: tlug: How to delete "-h.tgz" ???

    Felix> Sometimes (but not with the rm I just tried it on) options
    Felix> aren't looked for after the first file name (does NOT work
    Felix> here :-)

    Felix> 	touch xyz; rm xyz -h.tgz

GNU standards deprecate processing of switches in order dependent
fashion (although XEmacs still does, a little, and Emacs does AFAIK).
(I'm not referring to options with arguments, obviously, and things
like find(1) are a special exception, find command lines are a
Turing-complete programming language ;-).

I'm not sure what POSIX says, but I vaguely recall order-dependencies
are generally deprecated there too.

    Felix> Sometimes '--' signifies end of optiosn (DOES work here):

    Felix> 	rm -- -h.tgz

GNU extension to getopts() and therefore will work on almost any Linux
box for all the *utils packages.  This may be a POSIX function, I dunno.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091