tlug: Re: Stepdown Transformer...

> I haven't had any problems going either way.  In the US I use a
> step-down transformer, about 1500 yen at Narita airport.  The time I
> forgot it, computer was "heiki," but I couldn't sleep ;-)

???? Just for the 15 V differencence ???? Improbable. I have a
Libretto 30 with PSU here and the PSU gets the output of my
stepdown transformer ( down from 230 V to 115 V ) and works just
fine. Seriously: if a PSU goes bonkers just for that additional
15 V than it wont work very long with 100 V either: the next
glitch on the line's gonna take it out.

However, there are LOTS of horrible switcher designs out there
and with some I wonder why they work at all.....

The worst thing in bad switcher design I ever saw was in an
Apple Lisa, where they had a horrible circuit - from looking on
it I concluded that putting it under power would make it go up
in smoke. Which it did when I plugged the thing in. In the end I
ended up redesigning the PSU to make it work correctly.....

"It was hell. They knew it.          Karl-Max Wagner
  But they called it                 karlmax@example.com
    W-I-N-D-O-Z-E"