Re: tlug: Hustling NT 5 out the door

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Sean Bennett wrote:

> ....remember when MS realized they made a mis-step by not getting on the internet
> bandwagon early enough, and countered by *offering their browser for free in order
> to compete* with Netscape...

Yup, they were pretty slow to get with the program on that, and it's
impressive that such a large company could turn in its tracks in such a
short amount of time.  Their execution may not be the best, but if we
consider what a short time MS has been doing the Internet and look at what
a major focus of their business it has become in that time, it's hard to
help being impressed by the speed and intensity of that shift.

Now that they've noticed Linux, while we don't yet know steps they will
take to compete, we know they will, and they will do it hard.  Flak jacket
time :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan