Re: Pine (was:tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?)

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Michael Casinghino wrote:

>I think (and many would agree), that Pico is not a very versatile editor.

I suppose.  It's good enough for my mail entry needs, though.

>Until today, I was not aware of the existence of a Japanese version of
>Pine, so, to input Japanese characters I must invoke Emacs, (which I

If you have an RPM-compatible Linux,  you can grab a Jpine RPM from PHT's
site.  It's a standard package in the TurboLinux-J distribution.  Take a look
at:

<ftp://phtarchive.pht.co.jp/>

Go down the tree under pub until you get to the TurboLinux 2.0J RPMs.

There's also a .tar.gz available somewhere,  but I can't recall the URL.
Perhaps someone else can post it.

>Pine is great.  I would never deny that.  (I would deny that Pico is
>great).  However, there are a few things that irk me, so I am not
>satisfied.

If there were a GUI mail client that I liked and that did Japanese, I probably
wouldn't be using Pine either.  I consider it to be the best text-based mail
client around, but I'd like a GUI.  My ultimate MUA would probably be one that
delivered the Outlook Express look and feel while honoring RFCs at a level
that satisfied Steve Turnbull :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section