Re: tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?

    ash> I try to get people to just save stuff in a central location
    ash> and send mail as to where to find it. Samba works well for
    ash> this, but M$ lusers mentality is "Oh, I'll just send this
    ash> 10mb power point presentation to "all", I wouldn't want
    ash> anyone to miss it".

C'mon, I hate M$ lossage and disparage lusers as much as the next guy,
but the problem is the UI, not the UH (User Hizzerherownself).

When I want to send an attachment from VM, I hit C-C C-A, and respond
to prompts for file name, MIME content-description, and MIME
content-type, with the last defaulted according to a configurable
alist of file types (which normally just looks at extensions but
optionally can be made to use file(1) IIRC, and maybe mailcap too).

I could (or I could probably get KJ to) make it create external bodies
(FTP, HTTP, NFS, Samba, sneakernet, you name it, all configurable in
.emacs ;-) just as easily, 'cause this is Emacs, after all.[1]  But your
users have to interrupt what they're doing, switch focus (not just
keyboard, but eyes/hand/brain) to the file manager (which sucks under
Windose), find Samba, copy it, confirm where in Samba it is, and type
in (or cut'n'paste) the file name by hand in the mail.

Raaaaight.  Shit, *I* wouldn't go to that much trouble to save a few
MB.  Howard Abbey sings the praises of modularity---but that only
works in Un*x because the user never has to deal with modularity
itself once the wizard casts her spell.

So why don't you fix the UI, man?  (Sorry, I realize that that was a
very bad joke for someone who supports M$ apps.)

    ash> Arrrrggg.

Damn right.

Footnotes:
[1]  'Course, I don't _have_ any 10MB PPT scripts to distribute, so I
haven't bothered.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091