Re: tlug: IGS/Go How-To

On Wed, Sep 16, 1998 at 02:55:22PM +0900, Marcus Metzler wrote:
> Scott Stone writes:
>  >
>  > Any tluggers interested in playing Go on IGS, here's a quick how-to:
> I forgot to ask. Is there a stand alone program that allows you to
> play against the computer?

Download the free version of ManyFaces (I forget the filename, but it's
on the IGS ftp server: ftp.igs.nuri.net).  The free version only plays
9x9 and is much weaker than the commercial version, but it is FAR FAR
FAR better than wally.  It is a dos app, but it runs fine under dosemu
and may even run under the latest wine as well (rumored to support dos
apps better than previous versions).

I highly recommend the commercial version of ManyFaces by the way.  Do a
web search on the keys "fotland many faces of go".  A little pricey (US
$89 from samarkand) but well worth it, IMHO.

In addition to wally, there is gnugo but it isn't even worth compiling.

Now, if we can only talk a certain someone on this list into providing a
linux port of their program .... :-)

Regards,
--
Rex