Re: tlug: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Austin Kurahone wrote:

> Uh, Hi guys,
>
> Sorry for my non presence on the list recently, but I got school.
>
> Anyway, I am trying to install Redhat 5.1 onto a Compaq Prosignia,
> and it refuses to recognise its NCR53c710 on-board EISA SCSI card..
> I was wondering if anyone has any experience on how to get it to work?

you'll probably have to specify options for io and irq on that one.  I'm
not sure if Linux kernel modules can autodetect EISA stuff very well.

> Also I recently obtained a RICHO 6200A(ATAPI) CD-RW drive, and since,
> I got it in japan, it doen't come with any english CD-R software. I am
> using stock Redhat 5.1 (2.0.34) and cdrecord refuses to recognise my
> drive.  I recompiled my kernel to support SCSI emulation, but it doen't
> detect my drive on boot(it says that it is an ATAPI).  I will
> appriciate any help in solving this problem.

I don't believe that SCSI emu is the answer.  I'm not sure if Linux even
supports ATAPI CDRW drives, though. SCSI is the way to go.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Austin Kurahone
>
> PS:
> by the way I am trying to use cdrecord 1.6.1a3

> Next Nomikai: 18 September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Meeting: 10 October, Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate 12:30
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)