Re: tlug: Building a Linux box...

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Sean Bennett wrote:

>Can whose who know the backalleys of Akihabara recommend
>some shops to checkout for used/outdated components; the

CompuAce and DOS/V Paradise are a couple where I've had good luck.  CompuAce
is near Suehirocho Station (the Ginza Line station at the edge of Akihabara)
and DOS/V Paradise is right next to T-Zone, across the small street from the
main store, just down a few doors from T-Zone Mac-kan.

Another place that is sometime good (I can't remember the name) is in the same
building as Trisal (don't go to Trisal, though).  To find it, go to Laox
Computer-kan and find the backdoor.  When you step out the backdoor, there
will be a 3-way (that is, a "T") intersection, just ahead of you.  Go to that
Intersection, and on the corner will be a four or five story building. Trisal
is in there, and there may be a strange-looking Trisal employee in a red apron
somewhere around there handing out flyers.  Ask for directions to Trisal if
you can't find the building.  This building has an impossibly steep stairway -
it's almost a ladder - and it's so narrow that it's essentially one-way at a
time.  Go up this stairway to the second floor and go in the door on the left.
You will find used PC and Mac stuff and a little Sun stuff in there.  The door
on the right belongs to the same shop, but that side has mostly new stuff and
some used.

Joe Marchak might remember the name of the place, since he's the one who told
me about it.

>I'll also be keeping my eye open for a used notebook (poss.
>a Liberetto or Fujitsu NC series?) - if anyone has any
>leads...

There are lots of used notebooks for sale in Akihabara.  If you're willing to
go down to the 486 range you can get one for about 30,000 yen.  That'll
probably buy you a color VGA screen, a 340 hard disk, and eight, maybe twelve
meg of memory.  Quite a few have PC Card slots, so you can hook up a CD-ROM
drive and do a basic Linux install.  There are lots of shops that sell
notebooks like this. Just walk the streets in the CompuAce/Trisal/Laox area
and check a bunch of shops.  CompuAce will have a few, but some shops have
dozens of these.  You will also see a few street vendors selling some, and
they usually have a generator for power, so you can try the machine right
there.

>Finally, the best location for English unix/computer books
>in Tokyo...

T-Zone and Laox Computer-kan are the best spots, and also almost the only
ones.  Other than that, you can go to the Kinokuniya bookstore in Shinjuku,
but the selection isn't nearly as good.  Laser5 sells a few things, but they
are ones that you won't find at Laox or T-Zone.  All Linux specific stuff.
They had Maximum RPM the last time I was in there, and a few other things.

Also stop in at Plat'home.  They have a lot of Linux and FreeBSD stuff, also
some new Sun gear and sometimes a few used things.

What day(s) are you going to be doing this Akihabara crawl?

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>