Re: tlug: To Applix E/J from MS Office

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     jb> Doesn't replace Outlook.  Applix Mail is so bad they should
>     jb> have just left it out of the package :-(
>
> Hmm, my opinion exactly---of Outhouse.  But then, I only get to
> receive Outhouse's product, I might feel differently if I could impose
> it on others :-)  But who needs it?  I can screw up MIME headers and
> mailbomb my colleagues with easily available free software!
>
>     jb> Neither Applix nor WordPerfect currently has filters for
>     jb> anything newer than Office 6.0 (pre-Windows 95 stuff).  The
>     jb> conversion wouldn't be at all seamless.  I'm not dissing
>     jb> Applix, it's a decent product, but it's weak points are its
>     jb> abominable mail client and poor ability to import files.
>
> Yeah, well, you should try importing a trivial Word document into an
> older version of Word.  But I guess if you're corporate you can just
> offload the costs of upgrading every time MS releases on the customer.
>
> Not.
>
> The conversion might not be seamless, but at least you'd be rid of the
> damn ring in your nose.
>
>     jb> I'd love to say ATOK come out with a Linux version, though.
>     jb> Wnn6 would have to either adapt or die in very short
>     jb> order. Canna might hang around because it's free.
>
> Um, what's so great about ATOK or Kotoeri?  I don't notice Canna
> anymore (except for the decision to put the kigou list on <INSERT>,
> which is 5mm too close to <Backspace> on JIS keyboards).
>
> OTOH, I found SKK only very mildly annoying.  :-)

I think that all of these issues will be moot within 2 or 3 years.
Commercial application support for Linux is increasing geometrically, and
I think that the commercial vendors will solve these problems within that
time frame.  Just a guess, though.  I may be quoted on this list in 2001
and have people make fun of me, then, but it seems reasonable now :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)