Re: tlug: Re: Price of Applix and WP (or plugging the TLUG library)

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Thomas Joseph Haslam wrote:

> At 07:34 PM 09/09/98 +0900, JB wrote
>
> >Please note:  this is a copy provided to us for demonstration purposes and
> >should not be treated as a freebie.  If you try it and like it, please buy
> it.
> >Quality commercial desktop software (or indeed any at all) for Linux is a
> >rare, new, and IMO GoodThang (TM) (Your Opinion May Vary).  If no one buys
> it,
> >it will also become a short-lived thing, so I hope that we will all do our
> >part to support Linux vendors if we like and use their products.
>
> Excellent point!   And unlike the commerical distrubtions of Linux (RedHat;
> Turbo), it seems that Applix is *NOT* GPL.  (This I just found out reading
> the *very fine print* in the Applix manual.)  Hence the usual one per
> user/machine  restriction applies.

of course not - for it to be GPL, source would have to be freely
available.  Great as open source is, there will be many times, especially
now that Linux has started receiving commercial attention, that apps will
be sold that are NOT GPL, and will not have source.  Yet another good
reason for the LSB's existence..

> (For what it's worth, I had owned a copy of Applix before I discovered
> TLUG, let alone the library).

me too - and it used to kind of suck... from what I recall.  The E/J
version that we've got now seems to have those problems fixed - must be a
newer code release or something.  I'll try to get a demo copy for TLUG and
bring it to the nomikai, if Cliff agrees.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)