Re: Debian Install program [ was Re: tlug: CDRom Burner & Debian 2.0 distribution]

    Craig> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    >> URL, please.  ftp://ftp2.linux.or.jp/pub/linux/debian-jp isn't
    >> even a

    Craig> The following is the announcement from www.debian.org

    >> It can be obtained from:

    >> ftp://ftp.debian.or.jp/pub/linux/debian-jp/

Thanks!  That looks much more like it.

    Craig> I hope that my loose usage of the word "stable" did not
    Craig> result in your upgrade and problems.

No.  I'd already done it.  But I wouldn't want other people to run
into the problem.

I guess I can say that the problem is really that dselect/dpkg-ftp is
not a very good way to browse a distribution mirror, and it certainly
doesn't say much about alternative mirrors :-/  (ftp2.linux.or.jp used
to be the main Debian-JP site, at least when I started using Debian-JP.)

    Craig> This is what I'm using
    Craig> ii  linuxdoc-sgml-j 1.5.1-5
    Craig> ii  jtex-base       1.8-2
    Craig> ii  jtex-bin        1.8-3

Hmm.  That figures.  I'd been using ptex, I don't recall exactly why.
I used to use NTT TeX, but I think it was just easier to use the
VFLib-enabled Ghostscript with ASCII pTeX.

    Craig> The screen fonts were at first ugly, but I switched the X
    Craig> server to use TrueType fonts and now they look fairly
    Craig> smooth.

Screen fonts I don't much care about; I'm getting low quality in the
printing, though.  Probably I'll switch to TL for that and use the
nice Ryobi fonts provided with it.

    Craig> Craig (trying not to appear biased but still thinks Debian
    Craig> rocks.)

Debian rocks; some Japanese mirrors don't, that's all.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091