tlug: kterm/kinput2 conversion

    Jim> - I can't initiate conversion with kterm. In the setup on our
    Jim> Ultrix system, and on my old slackware system, the startup
    Jim> keystrokes were "Ctrl"+"\", so I more or less expected them

This _is_ the Wnn via uum, xwnmo, or Emacs/EGG default, and is pretty
generally the default on modern Emacsen (20.x, either FSF or XEmacs).

It turns out that the accessible-from-any-keyboard default for kinput2
is Shift-Space, though.

    Jim> to be the default. All I can find in the documantation are
    Jim> enigmatic references to "Ctrl-Kanji" (Initially kterm

Garf.  Yeah, that has been there for years and years.  Evidently
nobody is paying attention to the fact that lots of people use prefer
straight US keyboards (even many of my Japanese colleagues do, but you
can't get much of anything but JIS keyboards here :-( ).

It turns out that the accessible-from-any-keyboard default is
Shift-Space.

    Jim> complained about missing XMODIFIERS, so I set that up and and
    Jim> now it is quiet, but still no action.) I also followd the
    Jim> advice in the kinput2 man page and added an inputmethod line
    Jim> to the resources file.

    Jim> I'm sure there is something really simple I have
    Jim> overlooked.....

Not unless you're a bitflicking low-level X11 hacker.  Turns out that
what determines when kinput2 gets turned on is not necessarily kterm.
In particular, in the X standard XIM method kinput2 steals the
keystrokes before kterm looks at them.  That's not obvious....

Unless you have a crippled kinput2 or kterm (missing some of the IM
protocols), Craig's resources in
<19980908230324V.craigoda@example.com> on this list should get
you moving, with Shift-Space as the conversion toggle.

Craig's idea of nice colors turns my stomach though :-)

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091