tlug: Re: 'large' attachments

>Unless the list is xemacs-beta and the sender is Ben Wing, who has
>serious RSI and all of whose emails start with "If this email contains
>a RealAudio attachment..."  Typical email from Ben runs 150kB.  And on
>that list, if I had to limit bandwidth, I'd filter everybody else....

Interesting. I still think it would be better if the RA file was put on a
web site, and just the URL posted to the mailing list. Like you said, it'd
be nice if mailing software could automate this process!

>Anyway, friends don't let friends use Microsoft products.  What _is_
>this with 2MB Word files?  At that size, the Shannon content has got
>to be about 1000 bits/character, max.  About the density of outer space.

A typical case: the Christmas party. The file will have a graphic at the top
that sets the party atmosphere, and another graphic for the map. Then
instead of printing this out and pinning it on a notice board, it gets
emailled to everyone in the company ('cos that's the modern way), and then
everyone prints it out because they don't like reading things on the screen. :-)

Darren