Re: tlug: Now, ain't this really odd??!!

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > well, your original message was also correct - the original teardrop
> > attack was fixed in 2.0.32 (did you say .32 or .31?).
>
> I think I said .31 -- .32 was probably correct.
>
> I really don't stay very current on 2.0-series security issues.  2.0 is
> old tech, and as such completely useless to me.  I often think that
> someone who blithely uses a precompiled kernel that came with their
> NiftyDistro 7.1 CD from 1996 deserves whatever they get ...

I've seen Linux books being sold that were still shipping with Redhat 1.1
Mothers' Day release.... that's Mother's Day 1996 or 1995... :)

I'm always wary of books bundled with CDs.  In the linux world, I don't
think it's a good idea.  Better to have an agreement with X distribution
so that if someone buys a book, it contains a coupon for the *latest*
version... or something.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)