tlug: attachments (was: Next Microsoft product...?)

> Is the the size of the attachment that you had to download that lights
> your torch, or is the overall bandwidth used?

All traffic on the main list is archived, so if everybody starts
sending attachments (of any size) it will become a storage space
problem.

Also, after been "digestified", I don't know if attachments would
be correctly decoded by a mail reader. I would hate to have to scroll
thru n kbytes of encoded garbage until I could read the next message
in the digest.

I'd like to propose setting a policy for this list, that no attachments
are to be allowed. If anyone wants to send a binary, he should upload
it to the anonymous FTP area in the TLUG server.

BTW, someone mentioned IMAP4. I'm not sure, but I think
my provider (AT&T Worldnet) doesn't support this protocol.

Alberto Tomita/Japan/IBM      atomita@example.com
Tokyo Research Laboratory     LAB-S76 ext. 185-4636