tlug: Now, ain't this really odd??!

y0!
    Hey, thanx guys for trying to solve my eth problem...I'll find out
more info and send it again...

    But yesternight I got something really odd -->
        I went IRCing for a time that night and, after login-out, I
looked at my /var/log/secure and found out that somebody was trying to
telnet my machine...I did the same to his machine, than the odd thing
happened: I got telneting, yada-yada-yada, but after some text and a
screen (like those old BBS), my kernel started showing lots of error
messages, then rebooted (I was as root out of the X); thought that it
could be a problem on my kernel, after booting I tried telneting again
to the same host (this time as an unprivileged user, still out of X) and
I got the same errors, but this time no reboot at the end, just a halted
system!

Any ideas how it's possible?

[]'s
    RCT