Re: tlug: eth network

Scott Stone writes:
 > On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:
 >
 > > On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
 > >
 > > > Make sure that each machine's /etc/hosts file has an entry for itself AND
 > > > for the other machine.
 > >
 > > ... although that's just a stab in the dark, as the original query didn't
 > > give anything in the way of specifics (like network configuration [routing
 > > tables, IP addresses], kernel configuration, and so forth).
 > >
 > > It's hard to troubleshoot problems when no information is provided.
 > >
 > > -- Chris (yes, I'm having another bad Friday ... what is it with Fridays?)
 >
 > well, he DID say that he could ping.  Being able to ping means that the
 > IP config and the kernel are fine.  Usually when you can ping but cannot
 > telnet/rsh/ftp, it's either:
I once had the same kind of problem. It happend at one of the TLUG
meetings when I tried to ftp some stuff from my note to one of the
desktop machines.

 > 1.  no inetd
was running
 > 2.  no IP-name resolution (ie, fix /etc/hosts)
did that too, as well as /etc/hosts.allow

Coming from an old slackware I had set all those files, but it still
didn`t work on the redhat that was running on the TLUG
machine. Joe Marchak then edited some files in one of the
subdirectories of /etc which didn`t exist on my slackware and the ftp
worked after that. I don`t remember which one, though.
Must be some security measure the old slackware didn`t have.

Since I didn`t remember which file he changed I didn`say anything, but
maybe this will jog someones memory.

 > I'm good at troubleshooting problems when no information is provided - I
 > do the English tech support around here :)

I know the problem. Must be tough if you have to do it for an entire
distribution. I only get the occasional "my bt848 card doesn`t
work. I`am using Suse x.y ... " :-)

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
Department of Physics    | $B")(B $B#2#7#4!<#8#5#1#0(B
Toho University          | $B@example.com)A%66;T;0;3#2!<#2!<#1(B
Miyama 2-2-1, Funabashi, | $BElK.Bg3X(B  $BM}3XIt(B  $BJ*M}(B
Chiba 274-8510           |
Japan			 |
e-mail : mocm@example.com