Re: tlug: new bios meets lilo, trouble ensues.

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> So I've just upgraded one of my devel boxes from a P5-166 to a nice
> K6-266.  Sounds fun, eh?  Anyway, I get everything set up and boot the
> sucker.  The bios is now complaining 'Not found any [active partition] in
> HDD'.  First of all, did the Orz[1] make this bios, or what?  Secondly,
> you shouldn't NEED an active partition if you have LILO in the MBR.  This
> BIOS seems to supercede the MBR and try to boot partitions directly
> (stupid??)
>
> I'll have another look in CMOS, but, any hints?  It's an Award 4.51PG
> EH-1A2 revision, (C) 1998 Award Software.

I know it's none of the BIOS' business whether there's an active partition,
but you could always just make one partition active.  LILO doesn't care.
I'm assuming the BIOS doesn't really skip the MBR, does it?  Could the
MBR be generating that message (e.g., if the MBR had been overwritten)?

--
David Beutel     "It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart
jdb@example.com               by something as simple as wild dogs."