RE: tlug: Modem noise

On 04-Aug-98 Domenico Carlucci wrote:
>  Hallo,
>
>  I tried to configure my internal modem with PPP support.
>  The modem reacts when I launch the script, but the noise
>  is very high.
>
>  1) Is there a way to turn the volume off?

Try slapping an ATM0 in your modem init string. If persistent
settings work on your modem, or you just leave it on all the time,
you may also find that opening a minicom or something to it and:

  ATM0
  AT&W0

does it more permanently...

>  2) Anyway, I can't connect and the message is something like
>     "error in script file". I suppose that only the script file
>     is wrong and all this has nothing to do with the settings
>     of the modem, right?

Most likely yes, though a bit difficult to tell exactly what with just
that information. Post the script file so we can see what could be
wrong.

Cheers,
-Matt.

"The results of this intrusion into your life will be used 'responsibly'
in ways you cannot even begin to imagine. Of course, the innocent have
nothing to fear from the rapidly expanding data industry."
 - Radiohead, Airbag/How Am I Driving?

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: