RE: tlug: Caldera NetWare for Linux

On 01-Aug-98 Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

>  On news.com today, I read an article that said Caldera is releasing
>  NetWare for Linux 1.0, which supplies NetWare file, print, and
>  directory services under Linux.  But doesn't Linux already do all that
>  stuff with Open Source?
>
>  URL:http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C24821%2C00.html?dd.ne.tx.fs

Quite true.
But this is aimed at the world of business - in which the perception of
things like this can be more important than the reality. "NetWare(TM)"
may open doors to places that "netware-compatible" cannot...

In the larger picture, it's a sideshow. But nonetheless a sideshow with
some potentially important side-effects for the /perception/ of Linux.

Cheers,
-Matt.

"The results of this intrusion into your life will be used 'responsibly'
in ways you cannot even begin to imagine. Of course, the innocent have
nothing to fear from the rapidly expanding data industry."
 - Radiohead, Airbag/How Am I Driving?

featuring Linux on multiple platforms: